Tuesday, July 28, 2009

In Which I Spare You The Egg Pun

The other day I was making a cake that called for 3 eggs. Odd numbers of eggs, at least for me, alway present a little puzzle: Which side of the egg carton will end up with the extra egg? Can I rearrange the remaining eggs so the carton is better balanced? Should I just use 4 eggs for the sake of egg carton symmetry? You see, I like an even, balanced egg carton; it's a matter of common sense, really.

Generally, my egg carton strategy is to use the eggs from the outside and work in, keeping the sides as equal as possible. This way, when the carton is pulled from the fridge, you aren't misled by a very light side that then becomes a very heavy side once the whole carton is off the shelf.

Plus, don't my grade AA's look prettier in the carton this way?

2 comments:

  1. I do that too, but I also balance the front and the back as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drag from right to left--generally putting used shells back in--which works great except for last week when my carton had 7 broken eggs (from the bottom so you couldn't tell when you tested the package at the store)...

    Odious.

    ReplyDelete